simple me

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

stranger and studies

I befriended a stranger at the book shop I frequented yesterday. She told me that she is from Kelantan and has over to visit friends.
I invited her to Kopitiam for a drink as she had to wait for her dental appointment nearby.
It was nice just to chat with her and knowing that this is just a one-time spending time together, as well.Anyway, she has an only child, a daughter who has settled down in England , after completing her studies there.
This lady has decided to make things happen in her life, instead of just waiting for the mundane and routine to take place. She makes visits to her sisters who stay outstation and she also visits her friends on her own.

Over a drink, she 1) mentioned that she was reminded by her friend to be wary of strangers...but I looked "not dangerous" to her.

2)we wondered whether some parents are doing the right thing in being afraid to send their kids overseas to study as the kids may decide to never come home.( as happened in her case)

Any thoughts on this?

4 Comments:

  • there's no right or wrong answer here.

    as parents, we try our best to equip the kids to face the world, in ways we see fit.

    the rest is up to them.

    By Blogger doc, at 8:32 AM  

  • Kids are gonna do what they do. Have to let em live their life. Sad as the thought could be.

    But it is nice to have a coffee and chat without committments or expectations hor?

    By Blogger Simple American, at 3:12 PM  

  • Well, parents have to learn to let go.

    Kids want to grow and spread their wings too. You wouldn't want to be the one in the way of they progress right.

    But as long as they love you, I'm sure they'll be around somehow.

    By Blogger Jonzz, at 7:07 PM  

  • doc, yeah, I shall give my kids the freedom for sure

    simple american, coffee and chat..go together

    jonzz, I shall let them "fly"

    By Blogger just me, at 1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home