simple me

Thursday, December 21, 2006

preference

My late dad's preference for the glutionous rice balls ( tung yuen) is the savoury type. I developed a craving for them this year. I have been making the sweet version last time.
Besides a sign of being older when one eats the tung yuen, the chinese also use it to test whether the married couple will get a son or a daughter. I am not sure how it is done but this takes place on the eve of the wedding. Probably see which colour balls rise to the surface first in the boiling water?
Which kind of balls do you prefer? sweet or savoury?

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • that's a no brainer... Sweet! pandan leaves put kaw kaw :)

    By Blogger JL, at 10:53 AM  

  • Swing by from my kopi tiam just to wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

    By Blogger KopiSoh, at 8:01 PM  

  • I usually just take it for the 'yi tou'.
    Only take one.
    Too sweet for my liking

    By Blogger http://chinese.yenjai.net, at 6:28 PM  

  • jl,sweet...for sweet memories ahead

    firehorse, thanks..same to you!

    yenjai, you might like the savoury ones..made in the same manner as the sweet ones, no filling inside, no colour, but eaten with savoury soup...with parsley...

    By Blogger just me, at 8:03 PM  

  • had the savoury ones years ago, cooked by my Sinning-dialect neighbour. it's just like eating pork noodles, in this case, tong yuen.

    By Blogger nyonyapenang, at 6:29 AM  

  • Definitely sweet ones for me!

    Merry Christmas to you!

    By Blogger King's wife, at 9:31 AM  

  • Just Me,
    May you have a very Merry Christmas and thank you for your blog, I read it each day while serving here in Afghanistan.

    By Blogger Dean aka Sgt Dub, at 7:50 AM  

  • I like 'em sweet! and some filling would be a bonus, otherwise I don't mind them plain. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:41 AM  

  • nyonya, not many people eat them 'savoury'

    king's wife, hope you had a wonderful christmas!

    sgt dub, welcome! thanks for dropping by!

    may,you are easy to please!

    By Blogger just me, at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home