simple me

Saturday, July 21, 2007

soup


I met this lady at the photostating shop this morning. She had with her a book on soup recipes which she wanted to photostat. We chatted, of course. Then she said to me, " I drink soup every day and find it no trouble to boil even for one person. This is why I am so strong."

I know the cantonese people are the ones who know how to boil a good soup. Remember all the cantonese soap dramas where the mother always says to her children when they are back from work, "Come and drink this soup. I spend 4 hours boiling it."

I also remember my mother boiling soup for our family every day; something I always looked forward to during my university vacation. The soup is boiled charcoal style , and there is indeed a difference in how the soup tasted.My niece also missed her dad's ( my late brother) soup boiled in this manner.

By the way, guess how old the lady at the photostating shop is ? She is in her 70's. So soup, anyone?

7 Comments:

  • Ha ha...I always boil soup for my family, everyday. Acquired habit I guess. But 4 hours? No la..I am lazy and use a pressure cooker..only 15 minutes. HEE HEE HEE!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 AM  

  • I would love to give my family soup everyday but being a full time working mum, it is difficult especially with soup that takes 2 hours, at least to make.

    Otherwise, yes please, soup anytime for me (the Chinese style and not the Western style).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • I want .... I always enjoy a good soup and my mom says the same thing ... how many hours the soup had been boiled ...hehe

    By Blogger sbanboy, at 6:07 AM  

  • yeah, I love soup! It makes everything go down a little easier.

    By Blogger stay-at-home mum, at 8:06 PM  

  • I prefer double boiled soups. soaps over charcoal too heaty.

    By Blogger Las montaƱas, at 2:19 AM  

  • My wife makes a lot of soup. She is from Hong Kong. I guess I need to tell her to make more. :)

    By Blogger Simple American, at 9:43 AM  

  • Ah, I am a soup person down to my socks. My favourite: sai yeong choy soup (and they even have a road called Sai Yeong Choy Street in Hongkong).

    By Blogger fishtail, at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home